Friday, July 13, 2007

At the airport last week, I saw this poor woman carrying loads of baggages (on a cart of course), trying hard to keep up with her husband who is carrying absolutely nothing but a laptop bag. Then, he boarded the elevator well ahead of us (my roommate, me, my husband, and my little boy). His wife boarded last. In fact, the elevator almost closed up on her. The husband said something in their native language, and the wife just kept quiet. It sounded like he was berating his wife for not being able to keep up.

I told my husband I wanted to take the suitcase out of the cart, hit the husband on the head for not respecting his wife. My husband replied that in their culture, such is normal. It was then that I realized that though I came from a third world country, I have a lot to thank for. As Filipinos, our parents always reiterated the value of respect - especially to women. I remembered men would always say "ladies first". I am also grateful for the fact that my husband treats me as a partner - an equal. We walk hand-in-hand - nobody lagging behind. He consults me on his decisions, respects my opinions, allows me to control our finances, does his share of household chores, is a hands-on dad when it comes to Kail.

Related to this, I have a teammate asking a Filipino male friend how they are at home. My friend responded that we equally share household chores. He was aghast. In their house, he is the king. He would lie on the couch all day - doing whatever he feels like doing, while the wife does everything. I could not believe my ears! If that was my husband lying on the couch while I scramble to get stuff done, I would really hit him with whatever I can lay my hands on.

Unbelievable that in our modern day and age, there are still cultures who treat women as second and third class citizens (seemed lower sometimes). In my opinion, these men do not deserve wives, they ought to hire slaves!

4 comments:

Josephine said...

Funny you write about this - since I was just telling the husband this week how amazed at how men are nowadays, especially on the train! It's like they purposely look away when women walk in and end up standing, just so they don't have to make eye contact with you and feel obligated to give up their seats. Urgh! Pisses me off!!!

The Wandering Deity said...

mickeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! i can now post! yipeeee!!!

anyway, if you're shock with how the other culture treat women, come by and see for yourself how korean men treats korean women. LOl!

but of course, them, the korean wives get even by abusing their husbands credit cards to the max! LOl!

give my kisses to my inaanak and Cliff.

miss you guys!

Joy said...

hi mickee! we're really lucky, aren't we?

Joy said...

sapak aabutin ni hubby kung sya yun LOL.

post naman your latest LOs or new photos with hubby and kail.